Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bug Life

WOW!  I've been away a long time.  Things are always busy around here and my sewing has just fallen to they wayside right now.  I've made a few little things here & there, but nothing worth reporting.

My cousin Christopher got married a few weeks ago in Chicagoland.  I'm constantly low on funds (I would rather save up & travel) but I felt I needed to keep up with the big city folk, strictly style speaking of course.   No $$ for a fancy new outfit and everything in my closet just seems blah or just too dang vintage & crazy for a wedding.  So I decided to whip something up.   I've been sitting on this bug fabric forever just waiting for the right pattern to come along.
Then I stumbled upon Simplicity 2444 which seemed simple enough.  A classic design that got great reviews.  This was my first time working with pleats AND darts in the same dress without an aunt of friend helping me along.  I made the top portion out of a simple muslin so I could make sure it all fit ok.  All seemed ok, so I just used it as a liner for actual top portion of the dress.  Why is it when the "draft" version fits perfectly, the finished portion never does?  It was WAY to big and weird in the back.  I tried to fix it by adding some badly sewn darts in the upper portion.  Still no luck, so I had a co-worker pin up the straps a little.  This resulting in a higher than anticipated neckline, but it turned out alright.  Still a little big but workable.  I added a belt and that seemed to help.

I think the best part of this process, was using a vintage hem marker.  All you need is a friend, some pins and about 5 minutes.  My friend (who is a skilled tattoo artist / shop owner by trade) enthusiastically volunteered to help.   "You're never to old to learn a new skill" he said.  I think he is right, it turned out perfectly.  Thanks for your help Vinnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment